Saturday, February 20, 2010

Feb.20: Dominican Republic Vacation - Day 1

Well it was a very long week for a short 4 day work week. I have been busy with a major project at work, fretting about going on holidays and not getting my vacation approved until the very last minute!

With all that aside I am finally in the Dominican Republic yet again. This is a 1 week adventure with John & Sheila, which should be interesting. Sheila has never been to a foreign country and John is very particular about his lifestyle and ways.

The first adventure with the two of them actually started at the airport in Calgary! Sheila had packed her bags on Monday and forgotten what she put in her carryons. With Sheila never travelling before she had a whole bunch of liquids and other items in her bags. So going through security was a complete mess. They searched her bag and started confiscating items - spray on suntan lotion, etc.

The seats I had swapped before getting to the airport were ideal. We were in the first row after Executive Class so we had a lot of leg room & could exit the plane quickly.

The plane ride wasn't that bad from Toronto but it has been a long day.

One thing for sure, I'll never book a trip through Air Canada. We never got any food and if we wanted it we had to buy it! With small, thin sandwiches being $10! There is no way I'd pay that. Plus they catered to Executive Class which makes absolutely no sense to me. I can see having an Executive Class for long journeys - 8+ hours - but to have 2 people catering to 9 people and the rest of us got squat, that is just insane.

Arriving and going through customs in Samana was relatively painless. Nothing happened and we all got through quickly.

The resort is OK but not the class of Punta Cana. It is way smaller and our rooms are close to the beach and ocean - that is a plus.
Today was my first and I think only cheat day. Besides not eating properly because of the long travel day, I went a little hog wild at dinner.


Oh, I forgot another adventure we had. While waiting at the gate in Calgary, Sheila was getting animated and starting flailing her arms around. Well she poked me in the right eye with her passport and it still hurts.

Tomorrow we are going to the orientation, booking our excursions and then vegging by the beach all day.

Let the adventures begin!

No comments: