Wednesday, September 30, 2009

His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama


Wow, what an event. The Dalai Lama is the most profound speaker I’ve ever had the opportunity to listen to. He had such calmness about him and I had such a relaxed, peaceful feeling after the event.

Jacki texted me around 9:30 saying she was heading home to get ready for the event. I had taken a ½ day vacation but couldn’t leave that early. I informed her that I would let her know when I was on my way to pick her up.

After talking with my boss, I let Jacki know that I was on my way to pick her up. This was around 11 am. I met her at Starbucks (seems that we hit Starbucks before we do anything!), picked up a coffee and drove down to the grounds. I’m saying we got to the grounds at 11:15 and I am glad we did.

Walking up to the Saddledome, we saw a huge line up to get into the building. Also there were tents around and a lot of security people and volunteers. One volunteer stopped us to tell us that we could not take our drinks inside and asked if we had any cameras. Cameras were not allowed into the event. I wished I would have known that beforehand as we had to check our cameras. I hoped we would get them back. They also checked my purse as it had to be a certain size to be let in otherwise you had to check that as well. I was safe.

So cameras checked we got into the long line-up. The doors didn’t open until 11:30 and we chatted with a couple of ladies in front of us who had come in from Cochrane. We waited what seemed to be a long time and the line was moving horribly slow. Not until we got just to the doors did we see what the hold up was. Every person was being scanned with the security wands and purses/bags searched.

Finally we made it thru security, had our tickets scanned and were in the building! There were table’s setup around the concourse where you could purchase T-shirts and bags. Various tables had Tibetan items you could purchase as well – it depended on the vendor. Jacki bought me a nice Yak blanket and herself a shawl. The vendor kept telling everyone “Wash cold water, little soap and dry 5 minutes”.

With items in hand we walked the concourse. There were a few nice items and Jacki bought a couple of T-shirts. While walking around the concourse I saw a monk so I walked right by him and accidently (intentionally) bumped into him (so now I’m really blessed!). Of course I said excuse me. We weren’t hungry but went and stood in line to get to the washroom. Lucky we did this as again the lines were starting to get busy!

So bladders emptied, items in hand we found our seats. We were on the lower bowl right beside the stage. We weren’t sure where he was going to give his speech as the stage was full of chairs/stands for an orchestra. There was a little raised stage at the back and we were hoping that is where he would be.

On the back of each of the seats in the Saddledome were white scarves. The white scarves (or kata) are a traditional Tibetan greeting that symbolizes purity of intention.

An orchestra came out at 1pm and played for about ½ an hour. Following that, Mark Tewksbury came out and was the Emcee for the event. He along with Sandra Oh (from Grey’s Anatomy) did a good job. There were a few performances – school children putting on a mini-play and light show, Tibetan singers/dancers and finally a 200 person choir.

Once the choir completed, the lucky kids got to sit on the stage. The UofC made a presentation to give the Dalai Lama an honorary Doctorate in Law. Then the Dalai Lama came out. The whole crowd stood and gave him a standing ovation. Of course at that time everyone was in their seats and the place was packed. All you could see was a sea of white scarves.

The UofC presentation over, the Dalai Lama started thanking them for the honorary degree and said that it is amazing he got that as he was the laziest student there ever was. Unbeknownst to him everyone in the crowd was still standing and he talked for a good 5 minutes before one of his entourage came and whispered that we were still standing. At that point he told everyone to sit down.

He spoke for a good hour talking about peace, compassion (how everyone is born with this and seems to lose it along the way), science and the youth. He was very awe inspiring to listen to. At the end he asked for questions and Mark Tewksbury came out with a list of them. Of course he answered them with dignity.

Leaving the Saddledome there was such a feeling of calm and peacefulness. He indicated he had no magic powers, but his presence was magical. It was a once-in-a-lifetime event and I am sure glad I went. If everyone in the world could be 1/16th as compassionate as him I’m sure we’d all be in a better place. I’m just hoping the youth who attended got his message and will make the next generation a generation of Peace and not death.

No comments: