Saturday, September 26, 2009

Quilting and Wrestling

Well I would never have thought that quilting and wrestling would be such a match but it seems so today. Mom & I went to the Creative Stitches craft show today. I spent more money than I intended but it was a good show. I wasn't really going to get anything special, maybe some reproduction 1930s material to add to my stash. But I bought 48 fat quarters of 1800 type material and the Jane Stickle quilt CD.

I first saw the Jane Stickle quilt when I took some quilts in to be long arm quilted. The lady had a framed poster of this quilt and I immediately fell in love with it. She showed me a few pieces she was working on but I never thought much of it again. Mom just recently got a few quilts back from her and I went with her to pick them up. This time I took a picture of the quilt and was going to do some research on it when I had time at work.

This quilt was made by a lady named Jane Stickle in the 1800s. She finished this quilt that is currently in a museum in 1863. It has become a mecca for quilters and very popular. There are 225 blocks and over 5000 pieces in this quilt.

This is what the original quilt looks like and I'm hoping whenever I get my quilt done it will be similar:

I am also going to blog about the quilt as it is a long journey and something many people have done. It won't be for a while as I have a few other projects I want to get out of the way first but stay tuned.

So what does quilting have to do with wrestling you ask? Well tonight I went to wrestling. It is the old style wrestling matches like the Stampede wrestling when I was growing up. Growing up I had two substitute teachers who eventually became wrestling gods - Brett & Owen Hart. It is a lot of laughs for only $20.

Tonight standing in line waiting to get in we all see the wrestlers leave and go to another part of the building. We are all wondering what is going on as the ring it all setup and are confused. I saw my friend from Junior High who works with the wrestling association and he told me that the room the wrestlers normally use was already taken up..... by a QUILTING BEE! I thought that was funny!

The events tonight were good with a few new characters and a mixed match (man & woman team). The crowd was strange tonight as they were not paying attention half the time and the wrestlers couldn't get them going. But all in all it was a fun evening.

I took some pictures to post. My camera is slowly dying and it needs to be replaced but I was able to capture a few pics.

This "BUTT" shot was at the end of one match. I don't think the wrestler realized that half his cheek was showing.


This is Ravenous Randy.... he was supposed to have made it to the big league but something happened and he is back. He is a tremendously gifted athlete and a crowd favourite. It was nice to seem him back tonight.


Finally we have "M" who is a bad guy. Looks like he has his Halloween costume already!

No comments: