Thursday, September 01, 2005

One Month Anniversary

Well today is my one month anniversary since moving to Winnipeg. It has been a very fast paced, frustrating and challenging time.

With mom's help, a car full of clothes and "stuff", we drove across the country to arrive in lovely Winnipeg (much to mom's unhappiness). Thanks to Jacki & Dad who packed the car, it took mom and me about 10 trips up and down the elevator to clean out the car. After cleaning the car out, the apartment was next on my list. Being a clean freak, I had to tidy things up as it was not the most sanitized place.

The first thing mom & I found out was the humidity. The apartment had air conditioning, but if you turned it off you got an awful smell of garbage. So it was either fight with the noisy air conditioner or the stench of refuse. Take your pick.

I wasn't impressed with the furnished apartment I stayed in for 28 days. The security wasn't the greatest - only a little lock on the door. I slept most nights with a chair in front of the door as an added measure. I never did get the cable/internet access I was promised. The place had burnt out light bulbs, leaking faucets and was not in a very secure location. There were a lot of younger adults plus a hooker hotel behind the apartment (sorry mom, I found that out and didn’t tell you!).

Besides the horrible apartment, I actually like Winnipeg. It’s a slower pace thanCalgary and the people are great. I have met a lot of nice people. The first week I was here everyone in the office was nice and helpful (they still are). I went to a local bar the first Saturday and listened one of my co-worker’s friend who played in a band. They play nothing but ‘80’s music and are really good. The bar was actually nice as they have a total ban on smoking in Winnipeg. So I didn’t come home smelling like I smoked 20 packs in one night!

I’ve been to a few cheap ‘beer & wing’ nights at Smitty’s on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

I’ve been to a small town about 1.5 hours away for a corn and apple fest.

So basically I’ve become a social being meeting a lot of really nice people.

My house hunting is another story. I have seen the bad, ugly and undesirable in Winnipeg. Before I moved here I went to 15 homes with the realtor and found nothing. There are a lot of homes for sale, but nothing I would consider livable. Either they had bad basements that have been flooded, cracked basements or foundations that were ready to crumble. Mom was able to view some houses for me, but was unsuccessful.

But after viewing 58 homes, I found a suitable house! I must state that I found the house, not my realtor. I was depressed on Saturday after viewing 8 houses with my realtor and started driving around the neighborhood I thought was good. I also got the real estate news to find open houses. So Saturday night I went through my list and got my map out. I had 15 open houses planned for Sunday. Again I saw the bad. Some houses were nice but way over priced or I knew there would be a big bidding war on, that I didn’t want to deal with.

Two weeks previously I had found a really nice “granny” house. It was only about 793 square feet, but I thought it would be a nice change for me and the girls. I was excited as the hard wood floors were just done, it had nice color on the walls and the back yard was amazing. I then had a home inspection and that changed everything. There was a lot more work needed to the house then I thought. Plus the home inspector found the sewer starting to back up while we were there. I had to walk away from this house.

So with the house I found, I really didn’t get my hopes up. I was thinking that it would have a bad basement or sewer problems – it had neither. The home inspector was amazed and gave the house 9.5 out of 10.

I take possession of my new home on September 19th – just a few days after my birthday! My girls also join me this week! I miss them so much. I am just hoping that the movers do a good job and I have no issues to deal with.

Work is starting to go well. I now have done a few things that show some progress but I’m so busy I don’t know what to do next. I can be proud to say that I threw together 32 new workstations in 3 days and the electrician is just finishing up all the wiring.

Well I hope to keep this up so you all know how I’m doing in the ‘Peg. The weather has been nice, but today it was cold and really felt like fall.

Please post and check back often. I miss you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just trying this out, Valerie - had trouble leaving a message the first time.