Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lily Festival


So going to work Friday morning on the radio, they had this feature on the Sunflower Maze up near Bowden starting this weekend. This is North of Calgary about 1 hour. The feature indicated that they also were having a Lily Festival with over 30,000 lilies. This sounded like something fun.

I mentioned it to Mom & Dad late Friday night asking if they would be up for it. I thought it would be a nice ride and do something out of the ordinary. The event runs from 11-5pm on Saturday. First thing mom asks is what time does she have to get up. I say 8 am and she is fine with that. Nothing more is said.

This morning the dogs had me up early and I heard dad get up. So I goofed around a bit and then headed upstairs. Here mom was up and it was just after 8am. I asked if they wanted to go and mom said it was up to me. I said yes I'd like to go so we planned on leaving around 10.

We left at 10:30, stopped at the bank and were on the road at around 10:45. It was a nice ride and the countryside was nice and green (ok yellow too with canola). I believe we got to the location around noonish.

We went into the place and while mom went to the washroom, dad & I checked out their gift shop. We found out what we had to do for the U-pick of lilies. They had a variety of vases for different prices. They ranged from $15-$50. So you bought a vase and then went into the field and stuffed it with as many lilies as would fit.

We were in the field and greenhouses for about 1 hour. Mom & I had each bought a vase and started stuffing. Poor dad was carrying mom's vase around. It was a lot of fun and the different lilies was a nice sight. We went and gave the cutters back, they gave us more water for our vases and wrapped up the flowers for the drive home.

It was a beautiful day for a nice drive to the countryside and pick flowers.

My Bouquet

No comments: