Friday, June 18, 2010

Starting the wind down

Well I haven't posted for a while as I have been just a little busy - to say the least!

My little stress started back on April 26th...that was the day my boss got let go. I was told that it was almost impossible to get let go from work but I guess when you don't do your job for such a long time it finally catches up with you. So he was let go and I got half his duties.

A guy who has been there for a while and in a similar role to my boss got to split the duties with me. It has been an interesting ride and very enlightening. He is someone who I hardly interact with and have really enjoyed being mentored by him. He has taught me a lot and I'll never be able to repay that.

We've been running the technical services department for almost two months now. Wow, what a ride. Thankfully a new manager has been hired and starts on Monday - WOO HOO (doing the Snoopy dance). I did apply for my old boss' job but am really grateful I didn't get it! I don't think I could handle the stress. Ok that's not true. I'd be able to know what direction to take a few things instead of just keeping it above water. I know I would have been awesome but maybe it is for the better.

When I interviewed with the VP of Operations and my old boss' boss, they were both impressed. And when they told me I didn't get the job they said that I've been doing such a good job with projects, that they'd like to see me get my PMP - Project Management Professional - designation. This brings me to my second little stress...

I had started taking classes late last year and after humming and hawing it was suggested by my boss at the time that I should finish the courses and get my PM certificate. So I investigated it and signed up for an aggressive schedule of the 6 courses.... all within 2 months! There were only two day courses (all day Friday & Saturday) but most of the courses have been after work. From 6pm to 9:45pm. At the time I didn't think anything of it as my boss agreed to it and would be my backup and be able to cover things..... oh if I only knew he was going to get let go!

So for the past 2 months besides doing 2 jobs (1 I was just learning about) I've been going to school as well. One thing I am truly grateful for is my parents. I don't think I would have survived this if it wasn't for them. With them looking after Lucy (& Snoopy) it has been truly a blessing. Also a HUGE hug and thank you to my favourite sister for inviting me to her house the nights I had classes and feeding me dinner. I thank you from the bottom of my heart to both my parents and my sister.

I've been able to work on a few projects at work but we are also renovating the main floor. We are giving back half the space so there are major renovations underway. The facilities manager from out East has been having me do a lot of the work for him. It has been challenging. I tell you having to babysit contractors to get work done is stressful.

My final class was on Thursday and I was so tired I almost fell asleep in it! I had to keep getting up and walking around. Thank goodness it is over with and I just have to study and write my final paper in the fall.

Work done for another week and the new manager starting Monday I get to start to wind down.

Plus I'm taking a mini-vacation at the end of the month. I am going to a Peanuts Collectors Club conference in Santa Rosa California. I found about this on the Internet a while ago. I was again procrastinating whether to go or not but it is the 10th Anniversary for the conference and this being Peanuts 60th Anniversary I thought I'd go. Yes I'm going by myself as I don't want anyone to be bored while I'm paying homage to my heroes Charlie Brown & Snoopy!

I'm really looking forward to the event, don't know a soul and am gonna have a great relaxing time. I am staying in vineyard country so the weather will be good. None of this crazy rain we've been getting. I'm getting excited as I received the itinerary for the event and it sounds like so much Peanutty good fun!

We are going to have some exclusive time at the Schulz museum and other places.... oh I can't wait.

Well that has been my life for the past two months in a nutshell so I'm off to bed now to try to catch up on some much deserved sleep and relaxation.

Stay tuned for Peanuts pictures and adventures!

No comments: