Thursday, February 21, 2008

Leaving Punta Cana

Well we are in the hotel lobby - actually in an air conditioned room where you access the internet - waiting for our bus to come and pick us up. This time I can't wait to get home. This hasn't been the most fun trip. Everyone got sick and last night it was my turn. My stomache has been sore but I haven't physically gotten sick.

For a resort that is only 3 years old, this place is horrible. I stayed at better 2 star hotels in Peru than here. If anyone wants to know if I'd recommend this place it definitely will be a big NO!

I am going to write a big comment for anyone wanting to come to this resort on the internet when I get home.

The trip to Santo Domingo was OK, but when you went into any sites - Church, Columbus' son's house, etc. - there were way too many people to really enjoy or even hear what the guide was saying. I tried to stay back to get some pictures, but then I still had to fight for a good shot then run to catch up with the group. The old city was interesting. Our guide was opinionated and there were very rough roads.

The shopping wasn't the greatest either. Here I've heard people say it was good and it sounded like an open "flea" type market. we went into 3 stores - that's all we had to choose from.

The first market was run by Chinese people with only a few Dominican items in it. The second was more of a shopping mall type where you could not haggle and the third was an expensive 'designer' jeweler type shop. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

The other day we went to the little shopping centre just outside the resort. It had plenty of shops, but they all had the exact merchandise in it. Again very disappointing. I did buy a Dominican flag for $20 as that was about the only unique item there.

The paintings are all the same, the merchandise is all the same, the food is all the same - NOT a very fun trip this time.

You would at least think they had coconut here, but on no. I came all this way, paid good money and got crappy service, horrible food and a room that smelt like poo.

I can't wait to get home, see the girls and get back to a regular routine. To be able to sleep in my own bed tonight will be heaven. No more sore hips, neck and shoulder from a hard bed.

No comments: